Date(s) - 02/20/2018
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Cumming Arts Center
Instructor: Katie Phillips
Have you ever wanted to try painting but thought, “I can’t even draw a stick figure!” Well, maybe it’s time you give abstract painting a shot. In this 2.5 hour workshop, you’ll tap deep into your right brain as we explore this truly expressive and creative form of art. You’ll learn strategies for creating original abstract paintings in your individual style.
- We’ll start by discussing abstract art and looking at examples
- Next, we’ll talk about the basics for composing a painting, touching on color theory and composition principles.
- Then, we’ll talk about 2-3 different approaches to abstract painting and create a study (small practice piece) using each approach.
- Finally, you’ll use the strategies that you learned to create an original abstract painting
1– 18 x 24 canvas
9 x 12 Canvas Pad
3 or 4 interesting photos from a magazine, website, or your own personal stash
1 or 2 photos of an abstract painting that you like
Paints – suggested acrylic brands Winsor & Newton Galeria or Grumbacher Academy
- Cadmium Red
- Ultramarine Blue
- Sap Green
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmium Yellow Medium
- Paynes Gray (Michael’s only has this color in the Grumbacher Academy brand)
- Titanium White
(The above paint list is just to get you started. A few additional paint colors will be provided, however,
feel free to bring any additional paints that you like. )
All materials can be purchased at Michael’s.
Registrations are closed for this class.